This course offers an introduction to methods of meditation practice that are simple, yet powerful and profound. These methods can be practiced by anyone and are extremely effective for bringing inner strength, peace, compassion and understanding into your life. For registration information please click on the link below.
Prerequisites: None, open to all.
Tuition $75, student workbook $15, All the course videos are included online
Optional:1 DVD (must be played in a computer) $20 plus shipping
Introduction to What Meditation Really Is
We all want to be happy. But often the relentless pace and challenges of life make it impossible to know where to look for happiness.
What Meditation Really Is is a unique course that has been specially developed by Sogyal Rinpoche after many years of teaching in the West. It brings together over 2,000 years of Buddhist wisdom and experience in a way that is authentic, accessible and completely relevant to modern life.
Led by experienced meditators, it offers a complete introduction to meditation and shows how it can unlock our natural confidence, compassion and creativity. Students will gain a genuine experience of meditation and all the tools they need to take the benefits into every aspect of their life.
How do online courses work?
The What Meditation Really Is online course comprises a series of six structured modules, suited for individual circumstance.
Every week, in your own time, you will:
—Study a new topic
—Watch one or more videos of teachings
—Receive individual study and meditation practice advice from an experienced instructor
—Have the option of interacting with other students
The online course is designed to enable you to study at your own pace, within a clear framework. Many have commented that a weekly cycle is very helpful in developing and maintaining a regular study and practice schedule.
A six-week introductory course
Module One offers a complete introduction to meditation in six, weekly sessions.
Students acquire all the tools they need in order to have a genuine experience of meditation, establish a daily practice, and take the benefits of meditation into every aspect of their life.
The following topics are covered in Module One:
- Introductory session: Welcome and orientation
- Session One: A basic introduction to the true purpose of meditation and how to practise it.
- Session Two: Meditation as a way to inner peace and contentment
- Session Three: Understanding mind and how to work with it
- Session Four: The benefits of meditation
- Session Five: Integrating the practice in daily life
Module One is suitable for anyone who wishes to learn to meditate or deepen their knowledge of meditation—including absolute beginners who have never heard about meditation or Buddhism, and more experienced students from Rigpa or from other traditions.
It is also a recommended foundation for Modules Two to Six, which present a series of ever-subtler methods for stabilising and deepening shamatha meditation practice.
Click here for the scheduled dates for What Meditation Really Is, module 1 courses
- What Meditation Really Is, Module 1
- What Meditation Really Is, Modules 2 & 3 - January 2017
- What Meditation Really Is, Modules 4 & 5 - January 2017
- What Meditation Really Is, Module 6 - January 2017
- Ancient Wisdom for the Modern World - September 2016
- Compassionate Living - September 2016
- In The Mirror of Death - January 2017